Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My first month in Italy...



I first want to apologize to everyone for not keeping you updated more often. I'm going to try to update my blog once a week or so.
It has been a roller coaster ride for me this past month. It has been very difficult adjusting to a new culture. I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other girls. Four of them have lived here for a year and are familiar with the area and know the language, so they have been a huge help to me and Molly, my teammate.
It took a while to really believe that I was finally here. I've been anticipating this move to Italy since Christmas and I'm finally here! It's been wonderful but very challenging. The newness is wearing off and it's beginning to sink in that I'm going to be here for another 17 months.
My team and I are taking Italian lessons from a lady named Antonella. She's a 5th grade teacher and a member of the church. We have lessons with her once a week and lessons everyday for at least an hour with the girls we live with. I'm anxious to know how to speak Italian but it'll be several months before I can. It's a beautiful language and the Italians are very helpful, patient people and love to teach us as much as they can.
Right now my team and I aren't doing a whole lot. We're just taking it easy. We've been learning the language and soaking up the culture. This week 2 AIM assistance are here visiting and we're planning a trip to Florence, which is a 15 minute train ride away, on Thursday and fishing on Saturday. It's been really hot here the past couple of weeks but it's cooled down a lot so we're doing as much outside as we can.
Well I suppose that's all for now. If you have any questions or comments please ask/tell. I would LOVE to hear from people back home. I miss everyone so much and I can't thank you all for supporting me and allowing me to experience this. I love you all and miss you! Thanks again and God bless!

Slave of Christ,
Charise Heard

8 comments:

gunnerdave said...

Thank you for letting me know how you are doing. Please add Vicki to your e-mail addresses. It is vickinestor@hotmail.com.

I am so glad all is going so well for you. Be sure and let us know if we can help in any way. We'll try and do what we can.

Enjoy all of the blessings surrounding you.

David

Zane said...

Hey Reesie! Nice blog. It's especially nice to see pictures.

Hang in there. Adjusting to a new culture has got to be hard, but you'll look back on this experience as one of the best in your life.

I love you!
Dad

Don Whittenberg said...

Hey Reesie,
We still can't believe you are really in Italy. How Wonderful.
We have been really busy this summer. The last of My we were in Waco for Taylor' 8th graduation. Week before last we were in Corpus Christi with Tim and his family. Last week we were in Angel Fire to visit some friends. Yesterday we celebrated Granny's 97th birthday. The lastweek of July we have a trip planed for Washington DC with Daniel and Scott (Patsy's other sons) and their families. Then the first weekend of August is the Whitenberg reunion here at our place. The last of Oct. we have a cruise booked out of NY for the New England area. It should be just right for the fall folage. There are 5 couples of us going. We have a couple of extra days planned for NY.
That's about all for now.
We love you bunches,
God bless and keep you.
Patsy & Papa

Chandee said...

Freesie,
I'm gonna print and post this on our "Missions Board". I love the pictures and I love you even more!!!
Chan:)

Grandma Shirley said...

Hi Reesie! Thanks for the pictures! I love reading about your wonderful experiences! God is surely looking after you! I love you!

Curtis & Cindy said...

Hey Charise!
It was good to hear from you. We are getting ready for camp and we will be missing you. Sounds like an
extra ordinary experience for you. Adjusting to the culture may be a hard thing but you can do hard things! Remember who is on your side and whose you are.

Shalom,
Curtis & Cindy

Grandma Shirley said...

Hi Reesie,
Still waiting for an update on your adventure. Hope all is going well and that you are happy! Frank and I leaving the heat of Tucson for Half Moon Bay, Ca. tomorrow. HMB is about 30 miles South of San Francisco. Beautiful little town. We'll enjoy some fog and some nice cool temps!
Love you and you are in my prayers!
xoxo

Tanner said...

Hey Freesie!

It's Tanner,your favorite cousin.
I liked the pictures, they were cool. Hope you have fun.


Love,

~Tanner~

P.S. :):):)